|Los Gatos Tomato Products is committed to the quality of our environment as well as our paste. This commitment begins and ends in the field. We are constantly looking to add to our practices that conserve water and energy, improve air quality, and reduce our impact on the environment. Here are just a few examples of our practices:
- We minimize waste by using tomato skins and seeds as cattle feed. All remaining tomato waste material is used as topical soil amendment.
- Operational since 2009, our solar power generation plant supplies 25% of our in-season electrical energy needs and produces energy year-round.
- All boiler burners have been upgraded to reduce emissions by almost 80%.
- Our factory is located in the middle of our productive land, where the tomatoes are grown within a very short distance to the facility, improving freshness and reducing the use of diesel fuel for transportation.
- Our growers use drip irrigation on 95% of our tomato acres to minimize the use of water and fertilizer and ensure the plants receive these inputs where they can use them in the most effective and timely manner.
- With the drip lines buried in the soil, we minimize the amount of tillage which improves the soil structure, preserves the moisture and organic matter in the soil, reduces carbon emissions and saves diesel fuel.
- We transplant +99% of the tomato crop, which reduces the amount of irrigation and herbicides required to produce the crop.
- Our growers are among the most productive in the world, thereby maximizing the effectiveness of all inputs, such as water, nitrogen fertilizer, pesticides, and diesel.